POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how to visualize what you want? : Re: how to visualize what you want? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to visualize what you want?
From: nemesis
Date: 1 Aug 2010 14:25:01
Message: <web.4c55baf8f4e69ab4add1b7d70@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> "nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht
> > "rebeltaz" <mrm### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote:
> >> jim mentioned Blender for Linux. I tried Blender a couple of months ago
> >> when I
> >> needed a CAD program for the new CNC machine I built and I could not make
> >> heads
> >> or tails out of it.
> >
> > it's always amusing how geeks able to build their own CNC machines and
> > hand-code
> > povray scenes find it gobsmackingly difficult to use Blender.  It's kinda
> > like
> > being able to calculate the results of complex integrals by hand, but
> > being
> > completely lost when given a powerful pocket calculator... LOL
>
> <grin>
> Still, if Blender were less arcane, I would have been using it ages ago.

Perhaps you should try it now.  2.5 Beta has just been released last week and
comes with hopefully is a much more intuitive and sane interface relying mostly
on mouse-first-keymaps-later philosophy.

In any case, it's a 3D package beast coming shock full with video editor,
animation tools, texture painting, sculpting, nodes editor, a game engine,
physics simulations etc.  A 3D modeller is only a tiny fraction of what Blender
is, which certainly accounts for its complexity:  so many buttons and screen
layouts that might intimidate, but the trick is to just use what you need for
the current task.

> just lost interest in it as other modellers were easier and faster to
> understand (for the same results in my case, and that is what counts).

but you do use modelers, which is better than plotting integrals by hand.  :)